Monday, February 15, 2010

A quilting we will go!


I recently returned home from a quilting retreat at the Sunset Ranch in Godley, Texas. I finished a king-size batik quilt top (with help from other quilters on issues I was having with the pattern). The quilt is called Vertical Visions from Batik Gems by Laurie Shifrin and that's a picture of it on the cover. I've made mine out of greens and navy blue batiks. Mine has turned into a horizontal vision because the measurement is too long vertically for the length of the bed. Ah..trial and error. Now I'm waiting for the 108" batik backing to arrive so I can take it to a long-arm quilter. There's no way I could maneuver a king-size quilt on my sewing machine.

One of the fun events at the retreat is fat-quarter lotto every night where we each contribute a fat quarter. I won the batch the 2nd night! We brought our own breakfast, lunch was catered, and some of the quilters volunteered to cook our dinners. The last night we had a luscious pot-roast and vegetables and then celebrated the cook’s 60th birthday! None of this would be at all possible without the fun and fabulous "FiFi" LaFleur, our retreat coordinator .

The last night we also had an "incident" that can probably never be topped in the history of retreats, but for now my lips are sealed!!! We all certainly had a great time, well..except for maybe one person.

No comments: