Monday, April 11, 2011

Tah Dah!


Here's my center block from the P2 Modern Solids Quilt-Along! This week, Ryan and Charlie challenged us to make the center block our own by finding inspiration from vintage quilts, websites, or books. I used Mary Ellen Hopkins' "The It's Okay To Sit on Your Quilt Book." I chose a 6-patch "Album" block, but modified it a little bit by making the center my cardinal focal color instead of a background color.


Thanks to Rhonda Hughes at Corner Square Quilts in Cedar Hill, Tx, I was fortunate enough to have purchased Brenda Henning's "Triangulations 2.0 Half Square and Quarter Square" software which made sewing the half-square triangles a breeze! I just chose the size of finished square I needed (2" finished in this instance), printed out that page of half-square triangles on vellum, placed the two fabrics (red and white) right sides together under the printed paper, added a couple of pins for stability, and followed the dotted lines for sewing. In just minutes, I was able to cut the triangles apart on the solid lines using my rotary cutter. The software is one of the best quilting purchases I've ever made.

No comments: